1 of 2
What code should I be using?
Posted: 28 July 2008 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-28

Hello- first post!

I’ve been developing sites in ASP (with Access) for a number of years now and have gotten pretty comfortable in using it for all of the things I need to do. I have been feeling for a while now though that I am way behind the times now and want to update my skill set. Problem is I really don’t know what other developers are using now? I want to learn something that I know is not going to disappear 6 months down the line when the ‘next best thing’ supercedes it.

The sort of everyday things I do are simple registration forms, brochure ordering systems etc. Occasionally I’ll need to create simple CMS systems and e-commerce solutions.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying about nothing?!

Thanks

Posted: 07 September 2008 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-09-07

PHP, PHP, PHP!

Posted: 17 November 2008 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-17

I have been feeling for a while now though that I am way behind the times now and want to update my skill set. Problem is I really don’t know what other developers are using now? I want to learn something that I know is not going to disappear 6 months down the line when the ‘next best thing’ supercedes it.

Posted: 24 February 2009 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-01-29

I’ve noticed PHP is becoming very popular, but basic HTML and CSS should be an asset before you start PHP-ing.

JavaScript, CSS, HTML, Ruby on Rails, PHP, CGI, are all very cool and are worth looking in to. Though some hosting companies don’t support Ruby or CGI, most support PHP, and all support CSS/HTML.

So, basically, HTML, CSS and PHP are good things to know.

Hope that helps!

//X96 WD//

Posted: 09 March 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-03-09

E-commerce solutions in PHP with MySQL databases:

- Zen-cart ( I use this one ). already prepared scripts, easy to install, easy to use, to configure and adopt ( a lot of ready - free templates but you are free to customize the look you want ) 
- OS Commerce ( like zen-cart, but I haven’t used it )

Unlike your ASP, PHP, MySQL based scripts are open source ( no licence, no need to pay for the scripts )

You can see my site from my profile ( that is one of few I have customized - by CSS, adding some add-ons and java scripts )

And.. what I should mention is that I am not an expert in PHP, MySQL. I call myself rather a good puzzle solver. So with some knowledge of what I do, using e-commerce ready scripts, I was able of developing the web site the way I want.

Posted: 17 March 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-16
X96 Web Design - 24 February 2009 01:20 AM

I’ve noticed PHP is becoming very popular, but basic HTML and CSS should be an asset before you start PHP-ing.

JavaScript, CSS, HTML, Ruby on Rails, PHP, CGI, are all very cool and are worth looking in to. Though some hosting companies don’t support Ruby or CGI, most support PHP, and all support CSS/HTML.

Hope that helps!

//X96 WD//

I second that.  Html, CSS, PHP are the primary languages to learn and you don’t need to fear if they disappear all of a sudden.

Posted: 16 October 2009 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-10-11

totally agreed with hsekhar but what about joomla??

Posted: 10 November 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-11-10

Well, you could always check out tutorials online to self study. You’ll be learning in no time since you have background on it anyway.

Regards,
Cloudy
Placement financier

Posted: 11 November 2009 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-11-03

PHP is old but not only I but millions of people feel that it’s still a powerful.
Rather I should not say PHP is old. Start learning PHP and it is very easy to learn.
It’s is very similar to C++. If you do not know C++ don’t worry.

Lots of ebook and materials are availabel in net.
For giving a start i would suggeest “PHP is NUTSHELL” by Oralley.

It’s is fantastic to give a good start.

Posted: 10 January 2010 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-10

Start with PHP. In my view, PhP is here to stay. At least for the next few years.

Adrian @ How to Get Your Ex Back

Posted: 24 April 2010 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-04-22

PHP is definitely here to stay. It is one of my absolute favorite programs to use for backend stuff.

Posted: 25 April 2010 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2010-04-23

I use HTML, CSS and PHP for most sites. Some sites I develop with ASP.NET or JSP. Classic ASP is dying a most painful death and you should migrate to ASP.NET.

Posted: 04 May 2010 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-05-03

Sorry for “hijacking” the thread, but whats the best online source to learn PHP for free? I already know how do do HTML and CSS.

Posted: 11 May 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-11

I’ve been developing sites in ASP (with Access) for a number of years now and have gotten pretty comfortable in using it for all of the things I need to do. I have been feeling for a while now though that I am way behind the times now and want to update my skill set. Problem is I really don’t know what other developers are using now? I want to learn something that I know is not going to disappear 6 months down the line when the ‘next best thing’ supercedes it.

Posted: 22 May 2010 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-18
Hsekhar - 17 March 2009 07:28 PM
X96 Web Design - 24 February 2009 01:20 AM

Hope that helps!

//X96 WD//

I second that.  Html, CSS, PHP are the primary languages to learn and you don’t need to fear if they disappear all of a sudden.

This is really helpful, I’m just starting out . I know basic Html & Css and I wasn’t sure where to go from there.

Thanks for the post!

Posted: 03 June 2010 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-03

You should try to learn PHP and MySQL, they are free and easy to learn.

—————————————————————
Jocuri 3d

1 of 2