my portfolio review
Posted: 08 July 2006 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-07-08

Hey all. First off, this is my first attempt to do a large css and xhtml site. So I’m pretty new at this stuff, so I don’t know if my techniques were the best way to go. Any feedback on that, would be greatly appreciated.

Well I finally got finished converting my previous site to css & xhtml. It was mostly a learning experience and I wanted to update my site as well (with new scripts and such). I haven’t fully updated it with my recent projects, but I wanted to get your thoughts before I went any further.

Now I know I might have done too much divs (please let me know if I did), but with my layout I didn’t know of any other CSS techniques to combat the layouts. So please pick apart my code and let me know of ways I can improve it.

I also realize my portfolio page doesn’t validate, the only reason is b/c I haven’t updated my database yet to validate it. Every other page should validate (as well as my css).

Here you go.  Much thanks for any help, assistance you can provide.  :-)

Zach

Posted: 21 July 2006 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-07-21

Two things:

1) The website URL isn’t loading… I don’t know why :-p
2) Your website doesn’t absolutely have to validate. It’s nice to have a validated one to show off and whatnot, but if it works, it works.

Would you mind posting the correct URL? Thanks

Posted: 23 July 2006 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-08

Sorry about that, I ended up making it live, which you can view here. Every page should now validate, it was something I wanted (and served as a learning experience). Any critique of looking at my code and css techniques would be very welcome. :-)

Posted: 25 April 2007 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-02-13

I like the design and the layout. Only one suggestion though - the image on the home page is too blurred and not very good quality. You may want to change that.

Posted: 25 April 2007 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-07-01

Hi

Liked the layout, but have a question: How did you achieve the image previews when you click on an image?

David

Posted: 04 May 2007 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-08

Thanks for the comments guys. Better late then never I guess. ;-)

Foddie: It’s a script called lightbox. Pretty cool. The default color is a dark grey but I changed the color to a navy blue (to somewhat match the theme of my site) in the css.

Posted: 04 May 2007 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2007-04-13
yanksno1 - 23 July 2006 05:50 PM

Sorry about that, I ended up making it live, which you can view here. Every page should now validate, it was something I wanted (and served as a learning experience). Any critique of looking at my code and css techniques would be very welcome. :-)

Androgynous and anonymous, a woeful shout of <style=”“> over substance. :( a woeful and baleful bluish gray)
Quick review: boring and ugly:

Detailed review follows:

It’s impossible, at a glance, to know EXACTLY what this site is about and what it’s for. The wide screen real estate of 1024x768 is eschewed in apparent favor of squeezing into an 800x600 form factor, which like Oprah fitting into a nice pair of jeans, only an approximation!

The main navigation or list menu items that tell us where to go and what we’ll find when we get there, is a narrow squeezed tiny band of text, made all the more unreadable by the eye straining color combinations of the pale blue and greyish white.

The author has worked hard he says to achieve “validation” presumably so that his content could be easily read by a screen reader for the blind. This is A GOOD THING, for looking at this site much longer would get one closer to the blindness threshold, (if one even has to do it oneself with a fork!)

Suggestion: Use your Fruita Vida site as the base for your resume presentation efforts. Much more open, light and clean!

Correction: About me page - “I had a normal child-hood” should be “I had a normal childhood
...I didnt check much further since if YOU didnt care…. :p

overall: 3/10

Posted: 09 May 2007 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-10-22

good structure but i didn’t like the dark colors

Posted: 02 July 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-05-18
gonzo13 - 25 April 2007 03:45 PM

I like the design and the layout. Only one suggestion though - the image on the home page is too blurred and not very good quality. You may want to change that.

I think the same with him,you should change this picture in order to have clean and nice look..

Posted: 26 August 2007 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-08-26

It feels really boxy to me.  You might want to round it a little bit, and simplify the design.  Cheers.