Finding a Great Web Designer for Our Startup
Posted: 11 July 2008 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-11

Hey gang,

So, first things first - a quick introduction. My name’s Rand and I’m the CEO of a startup company in Seattle, WA called SEOmoz. We’ve been growing like a weed for the past few years, and are in desperate need of a truly inspirational, top notch designer. We’re offering reasonably good compensation ($65K+ bonuses, healthcare, etc.), but we’ve been having trouble attracting candidates and finding designers that have high quality portfolios (we’re not big on experience, just talent).

Naturally, as I was browsing around the CSS/design galleries and blogs, I stumbled onto CSSDrive and thought maybe the community here could offer some insight. Questions might be:

- What sorts of jobs excite great designers?
- Is having a single brand a detriment, in other words, do designers generally prefer agencies so they can work on many different campaigns/concepts?
- What are we doing wrong, or what should we be doing to help attract great talent?
- Any suggestions on steps to take?

Thanks a ton!

Posted: 13 July 2008 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-03-08

Hi,
I have been in the midst of looking for jobs so I think I could provide a pretty good answer, at least with my preferences!

You may want to try looking for students that are just graduating.  I’m attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online and there are so many talented people with great portfolios and students are located across the country.  You could check out other colleges as well. 

I work from home and I always look for companies that would be worth leaving home for in the way of company culture and compensation.  65k at this point would be worth it, I make less than that and it would be nice not to worry about where my next job is coming from.  So I’m not sure the level of pay has anything to do with not attracting people.  Perhaps it is because a potential applicant doesn’t see themselves as worth that much if they are just entering the field. 

I also would only work for someone who has a relaxed personal attitude, while maintaining professionalism with clients, of course.  I have thought about working with a brand so I could see how larger companies find and tackle projects.

I don’t really know what you are doing wrong because I don’t know what you are doing! 

I would suggest talking to local colleges and the like.  I believe student portfolios are available online. 

Good Luck!  I know what a pain it is to need people to work for you and you can’t find that perfect person!

Mary Hagan Double
MK Digital Media

Posted: 14 July 2008 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-11

Mary - thanks so much for the reply. I think the college/art school angle is a really good one, and we’ll definitely look into that. There’s a couple of Art programs locally here in Seattle.

Here’s the post we most recently placed on Craigslist - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/med/752470588.html - maybe that would help to get an idea of what we’ve done.

Thanks!

Posted: 14 July 2008 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-08

Good Morning!
I looked at your ad and I did see a couple things that you may want to change.  It may be because I haven’t had coffee yet today, but the I wouldn’t trust the ad based on the title.  You might want to make it a little more concrete.  Tone it down!  (Just kidding, I read that in your ad!)  It kind of sounds like an auto-responder ad title. 

Also, I would look for that type of ad in the category of web design, not art/media/design.  Although, I do check out my local craigslist quite often and I look in both categories, so that may not matter. 

Other than that I don’t see why you wouldn’t be getting more applicants. I don’t know about your specific location that might be hindering the process or the local job market, but I think you would do well by looking at some students in your area. 

Have fun,
Mary

Posted: 07 June 2010 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-06-07

I think it is a very good topic. It helps us many away. I found many interesting things from this topic.I want to share this with some of my friends.

Mercedes Benz 500SEC Parts

Posted: 18 July 2010 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-07-08

Was that really rand from SEOMoz? .....motherf*ck. 

============================================
tampa web design diabetes log

Posted: 19 July 2010 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-19

I have subscribed this thread for further referance.

Regards

bell15

Posted: 29 December 2010 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-12-29

It is good to have the ability to read a good quality blog with useful data on topics that a lot are interested on. The point that the data indicated are all first hand on actual experiences even help more. Continue doing what you do as we love reading your work.  birkin handbags hermes birkin bags

Posted: 30 December 2010 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-12-18

Hello everybody, Shop 2010 New Style Designers shoes, Moncler coats , herve leger. Christian Louboutin All Discount, buy now can enjoy 70-80% discount, and send a beautiful gift ~ Please visit: http://www.monclerestore.com

Posted: 30 December 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-30

My suggestions, don’t use getafreelancer or vworker or that kind of sites when you can get people that specialize in web design for years with lots of feedback…from forums. Hire people from internet marketing forums first, then look elsewhere. It’s often way better as testimonials and feedback are way more real then outsourcing regular portals.

randfish - 11 July 2008 06:14 AM

Hey gang,

So, first things first - a quick introduction. My name’s Rand and I’m the CEO of a startup company in Seattle, WA called SEOmoz. We’ve been growing like a weed for the past few years, and are in desperate need of a truly inspirational, top notch designer. We’re offering reasonably good compensation ($65K+ bonuses, healthcare, etc.), but we’ve been having trouble attracting candidates and finding designers that have high quality portfolios (we’re not big on experience, just talent).

Naturally, as I was browsing around the CSS/design galleries and blogs, I stumbled onto CSSDrive and thought maybe the community here could offer some insight. Questions might be:

- What sorts of jobs excite great designers?
- Is having a single brand a detriment, in other words, do designers generally prefer agencies so they can work on many different campaigns/concepts?
- What are we doing wrong, or what should we be doing to help attract great talent?
- Any suggestions on steps to take?

Thanks a ton!

Posted: 17 January 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-10-06

There are any amount of ‘website mechanics’ building websites for the small medium sized business owner.

Posted: 17 January 2011 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-01-06

Those who know nothing about web design feel lost when it comes to finding a good web designer

Posted: 18 January 2011 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-10-13

If you’re going to make Web design or Web development your career,

Posted: 21 January 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-01-17

While searching for the right web designer it is important

‹‹ Mockup cotest!!      Question... ››