IE6 Woes…
Posted: 04 May 2010 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-05-03

Every time I design a static HTML using CSS for formatting the layout, it works in every browser EXCEPT IE6!!!! Arghhh.. Why??? How do I fix this?

Posted: 05 May 2010 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-05
YouDontKnowMe - 04 May 2010 09:35 AM

Every time I design a static HTML using CSS for formatting the layout, it works in every browser EXCEPT IE6!!!! Arghhh.. Why??? How do I fix this?

IE6 is a very old browser with poor css support. Just notify people to upgrade to another browser for the best viewing of your websites.

Posted: 20 May 2010 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-20

I was hoping someone could check this site for me. I have it working in Firefox mac and pc and IE7 pc but have been told it doesn’t work in IE6 at all. I thought I had fixed the problem early on in the piece and now am disappointed that I have missed something major. Could you have a look and make some suggestions as to why it works in 7 and not in 6? I know this is a recurring problem with site design but as I am working with mac (and mostly making sites for friends)I am not able to view this site first hand easily. Are there any links to where a basic cross browser layout exists that could be transformed into something a bit more interesting for an artists website? Usually I would post the complete code but as the site is up and running I thought it might be easier to go directly via the link.

Jeep Comanche Parts

Posted: 29 May 2010 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-03-23

It is something to do with the float, padding, margin, and the 3 pixel gap properties and values.  Every value you add on the layout counts. Other browsers sometimes ignores it but not IE. This is when basic mathetics matters the most. If I have a 800 pixel container, my two columns boxes needs to be 3 pixels less than the total value of my container. Clearing floats are essential as well.

Posted: 02 June 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-02

In an ideal world, we could author HTML, XML, CSS and JavaScript and only worry about the W3C and ECMA standards. However, we don’t quite live in such a world yet. Due to bugs, incomplete implementations of the standards and legacy browsers, web developers must be able to determine which browser a visitor is using and provide the appropriate content and scripting code path.

Although browser detection is perhaps the most common scripting task that every web developer faces, it seems that the variety of different strategies in use for detecting browsers is unlimited. As a member of the Netscape Evangelism team who has spent over a year investigating existing web content, I can say without a doubt that most compatibility problems found on the web today are due to a lack of understanding of the standards combined with inadequate and inappropriate browser detection strategies.

Mazda MX6 Parts