Background Attachment Issue
Posted: 04 March 2010 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-04

Hey all,

I’ll try to explain this as simply as possible. LOL I’m definitely a newbie when it comes to CSS.

Here’s my problem. I have a full length, non-repeating background image I’m using on my website. It contains a white swoosh at the top. Part of this white swoosh is in the content area. What happens is, when you pull in the browser window, at a certain point you will begin to notice the white swoosh breaking up in the upper left corner. You can view this at:  broken swoosh - Scotia Village

The main code I’m using for the style sheet, background wise is:

body {
    height
:100%;/* needed to base 100% height on something known*/

background-color#e9e3bf; 

background-imageurl(images/bkg_scotia.jpg); 

background-repeatno-repeat;

background-positiontop;

margin-left0px;

margin-top0px;

margin-right0px;

margin-bottom0px;
}

#outer {

width:999px;

margin:auto

padding-left0px;

padding-right0px;

min-height:100%;

margin-top:-190px;/*footer height - this drags the outer 40px up through the top of the monitor */
}
/* #inner protects any floats in the content from clearing the :before float */

#inner {

width999px;

height100%;

overflow:hidden;

/* you could use float:left instead of overflow:hidden if you wanted content to overflow*/
    /* background:#ffffcc; If floated instead of overflow:hidden then repeat #outer background color here */

Now, if you go to this link: correct swoosh - Scotia Village you’ll see the swoosh stays in place perfectly. I’ve added background-attachment: fixed; to the body style, and that is what fixes this problem. BUT then the background won’t scroll vertically, which I need; because otherwise as you scroll the background still shows.

Is there a way to put make a background image fixed horizontally; but still scroll vertically? Or am I missing something in the code I’m using? I have been trying to find a solution to this forEVER; so any help would be SO appreciated you have no idea! Thanks!

Posted: 05 March 2010 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-04

I should also mention that the broken swoosh (the first link) appears to work in Firefox, but NOT in IE 7.0