IE problems - content box not expanding
Posted: 23 January 2008 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-23

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I consider myself to be low-intermediate with HTML and CSS. I’ve just redesigned what used to be a static site to Joomla. I am using a template which I have heavily modified. I thought everything was fine until I looked at it in IE (I’m a Firefox user and know to check on all other browsers but never noticed this glitch).

It seems that the main content box of the template (same on all pages) does not expand with longer content when viewing in IE. I have searched and read and tried different things and just can’t seem to get it to work.

I need help as my editor (a totally non-techie guy who really doesn’t understand browser issues) is on my case that his content can’t be read properly.

I don’t know how much of the code I should post. I’ve used the developers toolbar on both FF and IE to help me find the code and I’ve narrowed it down to a few possibilities.

Can anyone hold my hand and guide me? What code do you need?

I’d really appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks,
T

Posted: 23 January 2008 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-01-11

a link to the site would be the best thing you could do at this point.

which version of IE is this happening in?

Posted: 24 January 2008 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-23

So sorry. The site is http://www.canadianblues.ca

I managed to find some code that seem to fix it in IE7 but the part of the problem still persists in IE6. I assumed it was the peek-a-boo bug and the fix worked in IE7 but when I viewed it in IE6 at work today, I saw that my text is now visible but the content box does not expand.

When I took a look through browsershots.org today, it still showed the bug in IE7 but when I view it on my computer, it looks fine.

I appreciate and help or guidance.

Thanks,
T

Posted: 24 January 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-11

I am not sure if you have tried this, but in your conditional statement you have for clearfix

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<
style type="text/css">
clearfix {    height1%;}
</style>
<!
[endif]--> 

If the problem is happening in IE6 then this will not work.

So this would be what you want.

<!--[if lte IE 7]>
<
style type="text/css">
clearfix {    height1%;}
</style>
<!
[endif]--> 

or just straight out

<!--[if IE 6]>
<
style type="text/css">
clearfix {    height1%;}
</style>
<!
[endif]--> 

Also you are using tables in there, which could be throwing things off. Was this a template file you tried to alter?

Posted: 02 February 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-23

So sorry I haven’t replied sooner. Too busy of a week and had no time for my web site.

Yes, it is a template for Joomla that I modified. The clearfix code was already in the template. I tried your suggestions but they created other problems on the page. The fix that I applied (seems to be the peek-a-boo bug) was in the CSS file and it applied to the content box only. That seemed to do the trick for IE7 users but not for IE6.

I didn’t see any tables in the original template. What tables are you pointing out?

Thanks for your help and interest.
T

Posted: 02 February 2008 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-11

There are many tables used in here…Are you using FF to debug this by any chance? If so outline > outline tables > table cells